REMINDER: While CCHS Campus is closed during this time frame, the courts are off limits as the district sanitizes the campus. Please refrain from using the courts at campus until further notice from the district.
SUMMER CAMPS WILL START (TENTATIVELY) TUESDAY, MAY 26, 2020 FOR THE DURATION OF THE SUMMER. You may register at milehighsportscamps.com for all spring and summer camps. Registration has been temporarily frozen as we await further instructions, and direction, on the status of our school and our programs. We wish you and your families a safe and healthy time together during this most extraordinary and challenging time. We will keep you posted.
IMPORTANT 2020 DATES TO REMEMBER:
Boys tennis tryouts will begin on Monday, August 10th at 9:00 am sharp. Singles clusters as well as doubles clusters will be at CCHS as well as West Middle School at 9 am and 3 pm. More specific details will be forthcoming on creektennis.com. Also, opponents for challenge matches will be posted on creektennis.com, and will be updated daily by 10:00 pm.
Also, don’t forget to sign up for the last couple of weeks of Bruins Tennis Camps happening from 7/28-7/31 and 8/3-8/7. You can sign up and find out more details on www.milehighsportscamps.com
August 10- Challenge Season Begins. All Clusters, assigned and arranged matches to be played at designated sites/times for Cluster Rounds, or arranged sites for Ladder Challenges.
August 14- 3:00 pm All Player Meeting @ Shillinglaw Lecture Center
August 18- Parent Meeting @ Shillinglaw Lecture Center. Creek Court Club will be displaying merchandise and membership information
August 22 – Team Social- Location/Time TBA
August 25- 3:45 pm ( This date may be subject to change. Please watch creektennis.com website for any announcements.) All players are required to attend an important meeting in Shillinglaw Lecture Hall, located off West Lobby. At this time, players will have the opportunity to pick their JV Doubles Partner and indicate which other players in the program they particularly enjoy playing with. The coaches will then assign all JV players to the JV teams which will be competing interscholastically (See JV teams). If you miss this meeting it is very possible you won’t be on a JV team.
Thank you to all for a wonderful season!
Matches for the week are as follows:
VARSITY 1: 3:45-5:45 @ CCHS WITH COACH QUINN VARSITY 2: 3:45-5:45 @ CCHS WITH COACH SCHLICHTING
VARSITY 3: 4:00-6:00 @ WMS WITH COACH BERKEY
IF YOU HAVE NOT BEEN CLEARED BY THE ATHLETICS OFFICE YOU ARE NOT ELIGIBLE TO PLAY CHALLENGE MATCHES UNTIL YOU ARE CLEARED. THIS MEANS ALL 4 PARTS OF CLEARANCE: REGISTRATION, PAYMENT, PHYSICIAN’S CLEARANCE, AND PLANET HS ACCOUNT.
ALL LADDER MATCHES AND CLUSTERS HAVE BEEN POSTED TO THE WEBSITE. ALL FUNCTIONS OF THIS LADDER AND CLUSTERS WILL MOVE FORWARD AS DESCRIBED BELOW. THE COACHES RESERVE THE RIGHT FOR “COACHES DISCRETION” IN ANY GIVEN SITUATION. INCLUDING THE MOVEMENT BETWEEN CLUSTERS. IT IS POSSIBLE THAT THERE WILL BE CLUSTER MOVEMENT BETWEEN PLAYERS IN DOUBLES CLUSTER 1 AND THE SINGLES CLUSTERS ABOVE. PLEASE BRING NEW CANS OF BALLS TO YOUR CHALLENGE MATCHES, AND CLUSTERS, AND BE PREPARED TO PROVIDE.
SCHEDULE OF PLAY:
1) Singles Clusters, for the top 3 singles positions, will be played at CCHS, supervised by Coach Quinn, 8-game pro set with regular ad scoring. 7-point Tie breaker to be played, at 7 games all, if necessary. WE WILL BE PLAYING 2 MATCHES PER DAY.
2) Doubles Clusters 1-4 at CCHS, supervised by Coach Gonzales, 8 games played with everyone on your court, total games for all players will be recorded by the winner. Winner of the cluster will move up a Cluster (Or stay if you’re in Cluster 1) and the loser will move down a cluster. Any ties will be broken by playing 7-point tiebreakers
3) Doubles Clusters 5-8 will be played at West MS beginning at 4pm, supervised by Coach Berkey, same format as above.
4) Doubles Clusters 9-11 will be played at Rosamond Park (across the street diagonally from Sonic and Microcenter-at the junction of I-25 and I-225) same format as above, supervised by Coach Chambers. If there is any problem securing courts, these clusters may return to CCHS for play, beginning as courts become available there.
5) All assigned ladder matches shall be played at a time and location agreed upon by both players. Matches shall be of a duration agreed upon before the match by both players (best 2 of 3 sets played out, or with tie-breaker in lieu of a third set, 8-game pro set…) before the match begins, based on time and daylight considerations. Assigned matches take priority over arranged challenge matches. The winner of the match reports the score immediately to the website ladder, under “Report”.
Thanks, and Great Luck!
Coach Gonzales here! The coaching staff is looking forward to a fantastic season of tennis this year! One way we’d like to improve general communication is through Twitter.
If you have a desire to follow the program through Twitter this year, and I hope you do, please do so by logging in or creating a Twitter account, then searching out the boys tennis program by typing in cchsBoysTennis1. Type it in exactly as you see it. Once you enter the twitter account you may click the blue follow button. Once that is done you are an official follower of Cherry Creek Boys Tennis! Congratulations!
Head Tennis Coach
Cherry Creek High School
Director of Tennis Operations
News & Updates
I hope your Summer 2019 is going well and your dreams are coming true. Here are several announcements to consider:
1) Summer Tennis Camps at CCHS are ongoing, and will continue through the beginning of August. A separate Pre-Season Camp entitled ‘Bruins Boys Tennis Camp’ has been added from August 6-9. You may visit milehighsportscamps.com for information and registration. I STRONGLY ENCOURAGE YOUR ATTENDANCE AT THESE CAMPS AS A WAY TO DEVELOP YOUR GAME AND SHOWCASE YOUR SKILLS, MEET PLAYERS AND COACHES AND LEARN THE CREEK SYSTEM, PARTICULARLY IN RELATION TO DOUBLES PLAY. Financial assistance is available and the Coaches are flexible with your attendance, so there is every reason, ability and incentive to participate. If your situation requires either of the aforementioned, please contact Coach Gonzales.
2) We will have NO WEEK of Challenge Season/Tryouts before the first week of School, DUE TO CHSAA CHANGING MANDATES. All Challenge matches and Clusters will begin after school on August 12. These will continue, including playing on Saturdays, if necessary, until the Varsity Teams are set, hopefully by the beginning of September.
3) Beginning this year, CHALLENGE MATCHES WILL STILL BE THE STRONGEST INDICATION AND GUIDELINE TO MAKING A VARSITY TEAM. However, THE COACHING STAFF WILL BE RESERVING THE RIGHT TO ALTER LINEUPS, WITHIN CHSAA REGULATIONS, TO REFLECT THE STRONGEST EFFORTS, AND PLAYERS, AT ANY GIVEN TIMES THROUGHOUT THE SEASON. This means that the Varsity 1 Doubles Positons, 1-4, may undergo some changes to the lineup, or through doubles match playoffs, in the course of the season. Final Cluster positions, or ladder rank, will not be the only method of determining Varsity Teams. These changes will create a more Dynamic system, to be sure, and will hopefully reward the highest, and most sustained level of play, to those in pursuit of reclaiming our State Championship status.
4) There will be a number of COACHING CHANGES:
- Dan Pierce has retired from the Coaching Staff.
- Coach Art Quinn will remain as Head Coach and assume the Varsity 1 Coach position.
- Coach Josh Gonzales will move from Varsity 2 Coach to a new role as Director of Tennis Operations.
- Ben Schlichting, CCHS graduating class of 2014 and State Champion, will take over as Varsity 2 Coach.
5) Thanks for your time and attention.
Head Coach Art Quinn
Soon our team will embark on the 2019-2020 season and another quest for the state championship. The coaches and I look forward to another productive season. I hope you personally work hard this coming summer to realize your own potential as a tennis player and contribute to the outstanding tradition of Cherry Creek tennis. We will be holding a competitive camp for 8 weeks this summer, Tuesday-Friday (June 4 to August 2) for all returning, and future players, at CCHS. In addition, we will be holding a Pre-Season Camp the week of August 4-8, details TBA. You may visit the following website, milehighsportscamps.com for information, dates and times. I STRONGLY ENCOURAGE ALL PLAYERS WISHING TO COMPETE IN CLUSTERS ATTEND THE SUMMER AND PRE-SEASON CAMPS TO MEET PLAYERS, COACHES, AND SHOWCASE YOUR TALENT!
On August 9th we will have an organizational players’ meeting at 3:00pm at the Shillinglaw Lecture Center. All players must attend this meeting to receive vital information about the upcoming season. CHALLENGE SEASON/TRYOUTS WILL BEGIN THE WEEK SCHOOL STARTS ON MONDAY, AUGUST 12. DUE TO A RETURN TO THE OLD SYSTEM, CHSAA DIRECTIVE MANDATES ALL PLAYERS WILL NEED TO BE AVAILABLE FOR PLAY, CLUSTERS AND CHALLENGE MATCHES INCLUDED, STARTING ON THIS DATE.
Cluster match times will be after school at predetermined Cluster sites, CCHS, WEST MIDDLE SCHOOL AND ROSAMOND PARK. Match times will be from 3:45-6:00 pm. The top 40 from last year’s ladder and invited players will participate in cluster play. IF YOU ARE RANKED HIGH ENOUGH TO BE IN CLUSTERS, OR ARE PLACED THERE, AND DO NOT WISH TO COMPETE FOR A VARSITY SPOT, PLEASE NOTIFY COACH QUINN. School courts are used for Varsity 1, Varsity 2, and Varsity 3 tryouts/practice, and varsity and non-varsity matches. Challenge matches must be played at another location.
It is our expectation that you will play at least one challenge match per day starting August 12th, which will be assigned on the computer ladder, at creektennis.com, and arranged by you and your opponent. A computer code for the beginning ladder will be provided to all players, on the website, before challenge season begins August 12th. These matches will improve your game and your ranking on the team, and they will help the coaches determine who will play in interscholastic matches. I will be assigning 2 matches daily for players assigned to the singles clusters starting on August 12th. Doubles Clusters will be assigned one full round, CONSISTING OF 8 GAMES PLAYED WITH EACH PLAYER IN YOUR CLUSTER, 24 GAMES TOTAL. The varsity teams will hopefully be determined by early September. Since challenge matches will not happen before school starts on August 12th, our time frame will be compressed considerably. THERE IS A LIKELIHOOD THAT POSITIONS ON ALL VARSITY TEAMS WILL NOT BE DETERMINED ENTIRELY BY CHALLENGE MATCHES, LEAVING ROOM FOR CHANGES THROUGHOUT THE SEASON, DETERMINED BY MATCH PLAY AND THE COACHES’ DISCRETION. ONCE AGAIN, THE COACHING STAFF RESERVES THE RIGHT TO MAKE CHANGES TO ALL VARSITY LINEUPS AT ANY TIME THROUGHOUT THE SEASON.
There will be a parents meeting at SCHILLINGLAW LECTURE HALL in West Lobby next to West Café at 7:00 p.m. on Tuesday, August 13th to explain our program, and to give Cherry Creek High School the opportunity to welcome your parents and explain the academic and behavioral expectations for our athletes. The Creek Court Club, our parent booster organization, will be soliciting parents help that evening and also selling and taking orders for team clothing, one of the team’s fund-raising activities. We need your parents’ support and ideas. Don’t let them miss this meeting! On Saturday, August 17th, we will have our annual pre-season social night (location TBA).
The athletic online registration for 2019-2020 sports will be available in July on the Cherry Creek High School website – click on the Athletics tab on the left. This will take you to our Athletics website! Or you can go directly to: https://cherrycreekhs.rschoolteams.com/
Athletes will not be allowed to try out until all 4 parts are completed:
online registration + payment + physician’s clearance + Arbiter Athlete account
The Athletics Office will be open (8:00-2:00) to accept payment & physicals beginning August 1st. Office hours during the school year are 7:30–4:00.
If you do not have your registration completed before the first official day of clusters/challenges (August 12th) you will not be on the 1st ladder be able to participate in cluster or challenge matches. Please take care of this early!
Finally, please be advised that this year, like every year, serious and worthy challengers await us. Be assured that the coaches, players, and supporters of CCHS tennis will work their hardest to maintain the proud tradition of this program.
Head Tennis Coach
Cherry Creek High School